Edible finger painting is such an amazing activity to do with a little one and it is so easy! Trust me, I wouldn't do it if it weren't easy. The edible finger paint is thicker than normal paint so the project becomes a sensory project with taste and touch. It is safe, non-toxic and you don't need to worry about the little one sticking paint in his or her mouth.

Edible finger paint only lasts about a week so the activity is more for a fun sensory project rather than an art project. For something you want to keep forever and ever, use regular finger paint.
There are tons of different recipes out there to make homemade finger paint. I chose the recipe I did over some of the others because I had all the ingredients in my cabinet already. I didn't have to buy anything for this project.
You will need:
3 Tbsp. Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Cup Flour
2 Cups of Water
Food Coloring

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat. Stir continuously until the paint thickens to the texture you like. You can make it thicker or more watery depending on your own preference. Let it cool and then separate into small containers. Add food coloring to your liking (you can make light pastels or bright vibrant colors) to each container and then you're done!
Don't worry if your little one doesn't seem interested right away. I had to smash Everlyn's hands into it for a while before she got the hang of it. However, with the edible finger paint, sometimes she focuses more on the eating rather than the painting!

For this project I used watercolor paper since it is thick and won't rip easily. I taped it onto her high chair try and let her get to it.
The more you do projects like these, the more your child will understand it and enjoy it.
Don't forget to keep baby wipes on hand to clean up. The food coloring I used did wash out of her clothes when I washed them the same day. But you may want to let your little one paint in his or her diaper if you are worried about ruining her clothes.
No comments:
Post a Comment